Sep 23, 2012

Anxiety, my old friend




This week I’ve been anxious. Next week I’ll be away, to a big conference. I’ll have some work there, including an oral presentation. In moments like these, anxiety, my old friend, returns to tease me. I’ve been trying to look at this experience in a positive light but, I must confess, it hasn’t been easy. Sometimes anxiety is just like a constant punch in the stomach!

Anyway, I’ve been applying some strategies that have helped, and I would like to share them with you. Even though anxiety is still with me, with these strategies it isn’t so overwhelming.

- Don’t let anxiety freeze you. Keep busy with your normal daily activities. These activities help you take your mind off the worrying thoughts.

- Get enough sleep. This really helps keeping your balance.

- If you feel you can’t handle it alone, talk with someone you trust about your worries. The other person will have a fresher perspective on what is worrying you, and this may really help.

- Keep bringing yourself to the present moment. It’s much easier to deal with one moment at a time.   

- Take a break. Get away from everything that may be worrying you. For example, go for a walk, spend some time with a friend, or take a nap. When you return, you’ll refreshed and calmer.

- Think about how in a year, for example, what worries you now will be an unimportant event, lost in the past.

- Plan and prepare yourself, in order to feel more confident.

So… See you, in a week.

Wish me luck! ;)

2 comments:

  1. best of luck with your conference! you'll be great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda!
      Thank you so much for your encouraging words :)
      I’m back from the conference, and it has been a wonderful experience! I’ll be posting about it pretty soon.

      Delete