Nov 29, 2012

How can we help someone in extreme pain?


(Note: This post was initially part of a larger post, but I decided it made more sense to split it.)


Things haven’t been easy around here, in the last few days. Someone very close to me is suffering a lot (emotionally), due to a loss. This person is very fragile. I find myself trying to help the best way I can, but most of the time it just seems I can’t help at all. I realize that it’s easier to deal and be with my own pain…

How can you help someone in extreme pain? How can you show the person that life is still worth living? I’ve been struggling with these questions...

4 comments:

  1. I guess all you can do is be there for that person and don't wait for them to ask for help because most people don't.
    Love your Xmassy photos and beautiful "Moliceiros" (new word) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, when I wrote these words I was scared. This person looked at me, desperate, and said: "I can't take this... I'm so sorry but I won't be able to deal with this". She meant she might take her life, and the desperation in her eyes and in her voice was terrible. I wanted to have a sure 'formula' to make her feel better, to make her not think of such possibility. Today she is feeling a bit better, and I'll continue to be there for her. You're right, I guess it's all I can do...

      I'm happy you enjoyed the photos and the Moliceiros! I transferred the pictures to the next post, because I thought it made more sense to separate them from this one.

      Thanks for your lovely words :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad she's feeling a little better - it's good that she's not alone :)
    I know I've said it before but I really enjoy your photos as they are so different to any from the UK xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thank you for your words, Claire :) And thank you for sharing the photos on your blog!

      Delete