Nov 12, 2012

My habit no. 1: a difficult relationship with mornings



As you may have noticed, in the last few days it has been harder for me to stick to my habit no. 1. Going to bed before 2 a.m. is much easier than waking up before 11:30 a.m.! In the first days, when the commitment was fresher, it was less difficult to get me out of bed – now it’s getting harder, and harder…

I thought that with the new ‘regularity’ I wouldn't need to sleep so much and that eventually I would begin to wake up a bit earlier, and actually feel rested – which, so far, hasn't happened. But maybe it’s too soon for that…

I wonder about the reasons for my sleepiness, and my difficulty in getting up at a ‘decent’ time. I think there may be three main reasons:
1) My depressive moods (one of the possible effects of depression is sleeping too much);
2) The fact that my mind doesn't seem to fully rest while I’m asleep (I have vivid dreams with complicated plots, and I frequently remember them in detail…);
3) The fact that I may still be suffering from the long-term side effects of Isotretinoin (I was subjected to an acne treatment in 2006 with powerful side effects – one of these side effects may be tiredness - and even depression).

The thing is, my apparent inability to ‘control’ my sleeping habits has a strong negative effect on my self-esteem and, consequently, on my moods – and this creates a negative cycle, with negative moods further potentiating my sleeping chaos.

Complicated!

Still, and so far, I was able to wake up before 11:30 a.m. 62% of the time, which is much better than my previous lower ‘success’ ratio (<5%) :P So, nonetheless, this has been a great exercise and I will continue doing my best :) And, of course, I will report on my progress regularly.

…..

Now, let’s change the subject... :) 

I spent my Saturday sewing, and here is a picture of my new finished cover:


This one is going to the UK!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

See you soon ;)


P.S. I'm always delighted to hear from you in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to adjust to a new sleep routine.

    The best thing that has worked for me is setting the alarm at the time I want, and putting it somewhere where I HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off. Then, I go straight to the bathroom. Pressing snooze makes it so much harder to get out of bed. Now I get out of bed at 6.45am like a robot, each morning, and my body clock has adjusted and most mornings I wake up a few minutes before the alarm, check the clock, and snooze til the alarm rudely wakes me up.

    I find that adjusting sleep routine takes a radical change, i.e. getting up a few hours earlier, and then I'm tired earlier in the evening (and often feel tired for all of the first day).

    Good luck with this, early rising does actually feel good, and that's coming from someone who used to get up late. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda :)

      Thank you so much for sharing your experience. In the past, I've tried numerous strategies to get me out of bed, but I've failed at them all. When I have obligations I have no problem in waking up early - but if I perceive that I really don't HAVE TO wake up early, then well, it's a mess. When I wake up it's as if the only thing that really matters in the world is to keep on sleeping o.O

      Anyway, I can see some improvements. And I will further adjust the schedule to (try to) wake up earlier.

      Thanks again for your advice and encouraging worlds! :)

      Delete