Nov 22, 2012

Walking depressive moods away


In the last few days my moods have been a bit darker than usual. I got used to scan my emotions regularly, because this (generally) prevents me from falling deep into the dark well of desperation without even noticing how I got there. So, whenever I feel the first symptoms of darkness (like the desire to just vegetate for long periods of time in front of the computer or in bed, and/or feeling a ball of sadness burning in my stomach), I try to do something different from my usual depression-enhancing strategies (which generally consist in actually vegetating in front of the computer or sleeping countless hours during the day).

I realized how spending most of my day working in front of the computer, not exercising (enough) and catching a minimum amount of daylight cannot be good. So, today, I went for a long walk, alone. I used to do this frequently, 3 or 4 years ago, but somehow I lost the habit. This time I decided to take my camera with me, and I’m sharing some of the photos with you. These were all taken in my small village (Fogueira – which means ‘bonfire’ – don’t ask me why!). The air was crisp, and the sky was (peacefully) blue. It did wonders for my mood :)


Fresh fields:





Colors of autumn:





Beautiful old houses:

(Fogueira has many beautiful old adobe houses. It’s a shame they are completely neglected…)






Adobe:

(Adobe is a traditional construction material in Aveiro region. Aveiro adobe bricks are unfired and made with arenaceous soil and lime. They are beautiful, highly ecological and sustainable!)




Signs of Catholic church:

(I'm an exception in Portugal, and wasn't born into a Catholic family. For many years I attended the Baptist church.)




Back home:

(Pictures taken in my parents' backyard.)






Ok, you can go now ;P

See you soon!




10 comments:

  1. Mopsa, these photos are so beautiful and interesting. More pleassse... Take care xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you like the photos! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos Mopsa! you're right, it's all too easy to sit in front of the computer or lie in bed when the darkness comes. but well done for going out for a long walk. your photography is beautiful. I love being outside, but sometimes I find it hard to leave the house. The weather in UK doesn't help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      Yep, I suppose it's not easy to go outside in autumn, in the UK. I've been fantasizing about living a period in the UK, and the weather is probably the main thing that would be hard to adjust to :P

      I'm happy you enjoyed the photos!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! Love the old houses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, it's nice to see you here :)

      I'm happy you like the photos. I also love the old houses!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos and brilliant, healthy way of staving off a dark mood. Here's to happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara! I'm happy to have you here :) Yep - here's to happiness! :D

      Delete
  5. Estou a adorar o teu blog (e isto tem que ser mesmo dito em português:))! Identifico-me mesmo com muitas das coisas que escreves. Vou continuar a acompanhar-te! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, fico muito contente por estares a gostar do meu blog! :) O teu blog também é muito interessante, e já aqui tens uma nova seguidora ;)

      Delete