Dec 7, 2012

My habit no. 1: How can I make peace with mornings?



Today I'll be reflecting a bit on my Habit no. 1 ('Creating a regular and healthier sleeping schedule'). You can see the current graph with my bed and wake up times in the tab above.


Until now:

Percentage of times I went to bed before 2 am: 76%.

Percentage of times I woke up before 11:30 am: 48%.


What went well:

I managed some regularity in my bed times. This is good, because:
- I no longer went to bed at crazy times (like 4, 5 or even 6 am!). These crazy times used to make me feel very tired and depressed the next day;
- I knew at what time I had to 'end my day', and so I was able to better manage my daily activities.

I only woke up at the 'desired' time interval 48% of the times. This is far from my ideal, but is still much better than what I used to do (< 5%).

(Yes, I do sound like an engineer with all these graphs and percentages... And practicing my 'technical English' in the thesis doesn't help either! Bleh...)


What didn't go so well:

Oddly, I've been feeling sleepier and sleepier in the mornings. I.e., it's getting harder to wake up at the time I want...

As I shared in a previous post, when the commitment was fresher it was easier. Then it got more difficult. I guess I began to see my accountability here in the blog as a burden, and I felt ashamed of my lack of 'success'. This shame further depressed me and demotivated me.

But, rationally, I definitely don't wish to regard this as yet another failure. Instead, I'm choosing to see it as an experience with value, from which I can learn a few things...


And now what?

I've decided I'm going to focus on the things which I feel I can control. These things are:
- Bed time;
- Physical exercise (which, they say, improves the quality of sleep!);
- Creating a 'morning' pleasant routine for those days in which I actually manage to wake up at the time I decide.

I'm not sure if I'll continue posting my daily graphs here, but I'll certainly keep reporting on my progress regularly.

And I would love to hear suggestions from anyone who also has (or had) a difficult relationship with mornings!


See you soon :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mopsa. Glad that you have made progress with this area of your life. I have the opposite problem of getting up too early which I have to manage otherwise I get wiped out before the end of the day. I think exercise and routine are key - so good luck with these. I've noticed you've got some interesting blogs that I've not come across before on your sidebar :) Have a good weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,

      I can't remember the last time I woke up naturally and with energy for the day ahead. So I'm envying (just a little bit :P) your capacity to wake up "too early"!

      Yes, I decided to share more of the blogs I'm currently following. I'm glad you noticed :)

      Hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. a regular sleep schedule is so important. When I don't sleep right I just do not function.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,

      Yes, absolutely. This is very important to me too!

      Delete