Jun 13, 2013

Procrastination tip: focus on contribution





Focusing on contribution has been helping me to change my mindset about work. Especially about work that I tend to resist and procrastinate on - be it because I find the task boring or too difficult, or (especially) because I feel that my performance in the task may be a measure of my worth.

For example, if I think about the time that I spend working on my thesis as my daily (small) contribution (in the form of knowledge) to society, I feel more motivated to do it. And I don't feel so anxious about it.

In the end, I believe work should be all about contribution. And, if it's about contribution, it's definitely not about defining one's self-worth.

I like to fantasize about a society where everyone (who is able) contributes willingly and happily with their piece of work, and everyone gets properly nourished with the result of that work - as in a big loving family. Utopia, yes. But it sure doesn't hurt to change my mindset and habitual behavior to be more in line with my Utopian ideals ;P





When you find yourself resisting work, try to ask yourself: "In what way will this work make a contribution"?

Will it:

- Contribute with relevant knowledge?
- Simplify people's lives?
- Shelter / feed / heal / inspire / educate / entertain people?
- Or contribute by _______ (fill in the blank)?

How do you feel about your work when you're more clear about the contribution you're making? I bet it gets a little bit easier to tackle ;)



How's your experience with this or other procrastination tips?

♥ I love when you share your thoughts ♥

See you soon :)


2 comments:

  1. Hello my friend :) I agree with you whole-heartedly. I think work IS about our contribution and what we can do for others. I think that's one of the keys to life - what we are doing for others. There's a great quote out there by Martin Luther King Jr: "Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my friend Keith :) Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

    That is a VERY powerful quote, indeed. I'm saving it!

    ReplyDelete