Aug 11, 2013

Hello, I'm back!


Fiona has been a great smile inducer :)

As you may have noticed, I've not written here for almost two months now. I apologize for my long and unexplained absence... 

After a recommendation from my family doctor, and after talking about it with my therapist, we decided that I would try to (slowly) let go of my antidepressant. In the first week everything was going well, but after a while things got more complicated. I think I can say I didn't see it coming. Suddenly I felt as if I had fell fast and deep into the dark well of desperation  I was overemotional and embarrassingly needy. My habits - especially my sleeping habits - went out of whack.

So we eventually decided to revert this decision, and I'm now back on my medication. After PhD completion, I'll give it another try. Slowly I've been feeling calmer and more grounded. And now I even felt like writing again.

The thing is, this whole experience was scary. I must confess that I'm now a bit afraid that, without medication, I'm doomed to emotional chaos. And this experience also made me think about how fragile our mental balance can be, so dependent on the chemical workings of the brain...

Anyway, I'm definitely more positive, and I'm also back to blogging.

Next week I'll be away for 4 days, on what shall be known as my tiny 2013 summer vacation. I promise I'll be back with beautiful pictures :)


See you soon.


6 comments:

  1. Welcome back Mopsa, missed you. Glad you've found a happier, calmer state of mind. Claire xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire :) Thank you! It's good to be back :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to blogland. Well done for trying to come off the medication, sometimes we need it to keep us stable. Good to see you writing again.

    Look forward to seeing photos from your trip. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, and thank you! It's good to hear from you :)
      Yes, I guess sometimes we need to accept that medication is necessary...

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I hope you have (had?) a wonderful break from real life. Your pictures are always beautiful, I can't wait to see them. As for the medication... I guess it wasn't meant to be right now. That doesn't mean you can't try again later. I'd love to get off of them myself, but I know this isn't the time. I hate the dependence but I have to accept it for a while longer yet. I hope you can find peace with it for now. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley! Thanks! I was also very happy when your blog came back to life :)
      Thanks for sharing your experience. I also hate the dependence, but I guess for now it is a 'necessary evil'.

      Delete